Finish: Bieber, the dumpiest motel I’ve ever patronized
Miles: 60.1
Elevation: 1495
Avg Speed: 10.7
Ride Time: 5 hours- 42 minutes
Calories Burned: 2387
Weather: No clouds, high 90's, nasty 10-20 mph crosswind/headwind for most of the day.
Route: Out of Lava Beds to Tionesta, 12 miles on 299, south on Lookout road into Bieber.
Cool Stuff:
- The scenery coming down from the Lava Beds.
- getting water from the fruit inspection station.
- watching a raptor land on the road 100' from us and grab something.
- We stopped at the Lookout, CA postoffice and offloaded cool weather gear. I mailed about 8.5 lbs of stuff to Eldred.
Lesson’s Learned:
- Eat more, I bonked for the first time in several years.
- Otherwise, a demanding but uneventful day.
Palaver: Today's ride started late and we really paid a price with excessive heat and major headwinds. We have to hit the road much earlier. Our lodging choices were the Bieber city park, assuming to local police would allow it or a very dumpy motel. David and I decided the mozzys (Brit speak for mosquito) would consume us if we stayed in the park. David looks like he has been in red paint ball war he has so many bites. So, it was a no brainer, we hit the dumpy motel. The sign behind the front desk cautioned patrons there would be a $10 fee for cleaning game or fish in the room. I was so grossed out by the filth I slept in my bag on top of the bedcover.
No comments:
Post a Comment